Monday, April 23, 2007

Enjoy the silence.

Today I took the day off. I needed to get some rest. I've been getting migraines on and off for the last two months. They used to come once a month and last for about 6 hours. Now they are coming at irregular intervals and they can last for two days. I can't move very quickly and I can't think about anything but not moving. Once I found some reprieve from the pain, I stepped outside to sit in the sun. I let Ralph run around and get a little exercise in. Justin had to work a little late tonight so I figured if Maddie was going to eat then it better come from another kitchen, so I picked up Thai food on the way home from school.

This weekend we were starting to look into what we are going to do with our yard. I've been told that we just need to clean up the space before doing anything major. I've dug up the front flower bed to see what kind of soil we have. I bought a soil testing kit that is sitting on our kitchen table. I can't tell you why I haven't used it yet. I suppose it will tell me just how much work I've got ahead of myself.

We are thinking of putting in an early harvest crop. I've researched lettuce, basil, cilantro, tomatoes and possibly peas. I also want to grow a creeping vine to go up the side of the house on a trellis. I have looked at a few plants but I'm not sure what I will end up putting there. If there are any "you've never really gardened before" vines, let me know.

Now, for the shocker of the day. I dislike birds immensely. I would rather see them on the other side of the cage than up close in person. However, I have this fancy idea of raising chickens. Not many, just two or three. I am intrigued by the idea of fresh eggs. I'm also interested in the organic aspect of raising chickens. The problem is that we live in the city and I don't think we would be allowed to raise chickens in our backyard. I have to do a little research to find out what the reprocussions would be if we ended up doing this. I'm not saying this is going to happen any time soon. I just fancy the idea of waking each morning and gathering eggs...or at least telling Maddie she had to go out to collect the eggs.

No comments: