Saturday, May 30, 2009

Spring in my step

I am finding there are only a few ways I want to spend my free time. I want to be in the garden (veggie or flower...either will do); spending time with the family; in the kitchen baking or cooking and of course with friends. If I could combine all of these things I would be as happy as a lark.

Today I got to do three of the above: coffee with a friend, gardening and family time. I started my morning off by meeting a friend for coffee. We sat outside in the sun chatting it up. After laughing our heads off, we ventured to a co-worker's house to partake in her annual plant splitting event. I got quite a few goodies to transplant into our garden.

When I returned home I forced Maddie to be with us the rest of the day. She was a bit blue in the beginning but once we got out the door her outlook changed. We dropped a few of the garden goodies off at another friend's house. By this time we were all hungry beyond belief. Thank goodness we were close to a Vietnamese restaurant. Maddie could eat Asian food for any meal if we allowed her to. I think there needs to be some diversity in her menu but that is where we differ. To keep the family streak going, we pulled up to the Salvation Army store. I wasn't looking for anything in particular until we walked through the doors. Then it came to me, we needed a new dishware set. We are pretty rough on our dishes so it had to be either durable, many of each item or both. I think we found a lovely set but it only meets the high volume requirement. It looks very much like this:



Unfortunately you cannot see the lovely turquoise in the pattern. The only problem is that we couldn't find any dinner plates. We've found replacements but they cost four times as much to get than the whole set we purchased today. I guess I'm just going to have to hit the Goodwills and Salvation Armys around town! My life could be worse.

When we got home, I planted everything I had gotten this morning. I have to admit, I have no idea what I'm doing. The good thing is that each of these plants were free, should survive even the bumblingest of idiots (me) and should be able to be moved in the fall. I've already seen the error of my ways in placement but I don't want to cause more damage so I need to just live with it for now.

Garden is still coming along. I had to get replacement cucumbers but that's alright. Tomorrow I wrap each box in chicken wire and then hope the buggers leave the whole set alone. I need some kind of success or we may never have a veggie garden again!

Tomorrow I bake. This weekend is getting better by the moment.

No comments: