Today I went in for my 36-37 week checkup. I had been working at home so I didn't have to leave until the last minute to pick up Maddie and Justin. We arrived at the clinic early (even though I am perpetually late) and waited in the lobby for 10 minutes. Not a problem since I didn't have to sit there with a fully loaded bladder.
We got into the exam room, escorted by a nurse I've never seen. She asked all the standard questions and once she had her answers said, "I see you have a strep b culture that needs to be taken today. I'll step out while you undress so I can take the culture before you talk to the doctor." I think to myself, um, no, that is not going to happen at this moment...my daughter is sitting right there and you're about to stick a swab in two places I'm not sure she even knows that thing could possibly be inserted there. So, I ask if we can wait until the end to do the culture. You would have thought I asked to have her left pinkie finger and the ring on that finger. I prevailed. My daughter did not see anyone stick a 12 inch q-tip in my yaya.
The doctor came in and we got down to business right away. She measured my fundus which is right on target. Then she let us all hear the heartbeat. A happy, steady 148. By the location of the heartbeat and the "feeling" of the belly, the baby is head down and butt in the air. Which is a good indicator that all systems are go. To top it off, my cervix is soft and she could feel what she thought to be the baby's head. Strange to think the baby's first human touch was rubber gloved finger. I'm not dilated but it could begin any day.
We truly could have this baby any time. ANY TIME! Oh holy cow! We're about to step from a three person family to a four in a matter of days. I know I've had nine months to prepare for this but today really made it a reality.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
holy moly. please have the babe now, so i'll be able to visit your lovely family in january!!!
lots and lots of happy wishes to you.
Post a Comment