Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Five things not to say to a pregnant woman...

I am 28 weeks pregnant and in a fragile mental state so please forgive me for anything I may say now. I have been trying to stay calm but if you were presented with any of the following statements I think you would be a little out of sorts yourself.

1. Are you sure you're only 6.5 months pregnant?
2. Wow, you really look pregnant.
3. Are you excited because if you're not it's a little too late.
4. I heard about this lady who...(fill in any scary story about pregnancy, labor, delivery or a new baby).
5. Some women don't look pregnant from behind. You are not one of those women.

I am no Angelina Jolie. I do not look phenomenal 7.5 months pregnant with twins (no, they didn't find a second baby). I do, however, wonder why anyone would say these things to a pregnant woman. I do wonder what changes in peoples' brains when they see a pregnant woman. The filter most people use when having a conversation with another person seems to be shut off when talking to a pregnant woman. You would never walk up to an obese man and say, "Wow, you really are one fat man!" If you are the kind of person who would say that then maybe you and I shouldn't be friends.

1 comment:

abby said...

i have got to see a picture of this. please document.

haha..is that another thing you don't want to hear?

i reckon it must be a good idea to have all of that extra baby weight as it is getting colder and this will keep you warm. no need for a coat or anything.

you rock.