I have a love/hate relationship with television and all that comes with it. I find sitting down and suspending my disbelief for an hour can be quite therapeutic; especially when there's a little mystery or mystic behind the plot. I tend to watch shows that need my full attention (Heroes, Lost, X-Files) but leave me feeling like I just ran a marathon in my mind. There are the shows that I watch for guilty pleasures (I say they are for their entertainment value but really I believe they are brilliantly done), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, The Office to name a few.
As you can imagine, I can find a show on most every night to fill this niche. This (as I've said before) has always been an issue between me and the man. There is always "something else" we could be doing. We could be weeding the flowerbeds, taking a leisurely walk through our wonderful neighborhood, we could be teaching Maddie Arabic, or we could be exercising.
When we got our new rocket ship of a television the deal was to allow a video game system into the house. If I was going to be able to occupy my time with such nonsense as shows produced for my entertainment value, then Justin was going to be able to entertain himself with late night video games. The only stipulation was that he could not play any games before Maddie went to bed unless she was actively participating in the "playing". Hands were shook and the deal was sealed.
Not long after the Wii entered our home, I thought I would give it a try. I tested out the bowling game. I’m a fine, fine bowler. I left the Wii alone. I didn’t want to become too attached. Okay, the truth is, I’m a terrible video game player. I don’t have the hand/eye coordination, I don’t have the patience, I don’t really care if I win and I’d rather be WATCHING the tellie.
One night Justin and Maddie came home with Guitar Hero™ which to my surprise Maddie played once. Justin thought I would immediately pick up the guitar and rock my little heart out – at least on the easy level. On day five of it being in our house, I finally caved and picked up the guitar. We selected a song that I knew front wards and backwards. I could sing the song word for word even after a 10 year hiatus from hearing it. But could I play? Well let’s just say I am terrible. The colors on the buttons and the speed of the notes and the “assistance” from Justin made the whole situation made me itchy. I could not get the song down. By the third time I really had had enough and couldn’t go on any further. I’ve had friends tell me this is the most fun they have had playing video games. I found a grey hair because of my 15 minutes playing. I don’t see how that adds to the fun.
Knowing what a lovely time I had with Guitar Hero™ Justin suggested we look into the Wii Fit. Video games and exercise…two things I LOVE. Just how much torture does he wish upon me? Maddie runs around outside for 10 hours a day and swims for two more. I don’t think we need to worry about her getting any exercise. Justin would probably try any video game at least once. I’m not willing to spend the money for just once. Then I read this and realized it’s not just the money. It’s that I know the computer will mock me, just like Alice and frankly, that’s the way to get your cables cut Wii.
Thanks, Alice, for putting my subconscious thought onto paper.
Friday, June 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment