Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Nine years and still trying to figure each other out.

Our first date goes as follows:

Him: Four days from now is the Harry Connick, Jr. concert would you like to go?
Me: Um, we both work that night (together). Do you think we could get the night off?
Him: If you can get someone to work for you and I can get someone to work for me, do you want to go?
Me: Sure.

Two days later:

Him: I got someone to cover my shift. How about you?
Me: Yep. All set.
Him: Great, I've got tickets.
Me: Really, how did you get them so quickly?
Him: I called.
Me: I'll buy dinner.
Him: Fair enough.

Thursday rolls around and he picks me up. He was driving a classic Volvo at the time (which to this day I'm sad we got rid of it...that's another story though). When he stepped out of the car to open the door for me, he was wearing a white button down shirt, blue pinstripe pants and suspenders. His hair was not unlike Morissey's. I was dressed in a pinstripe dress (that I will never fit into again) and a light sweater. We had not planned the matchiness of our outfits for those of you paying attention.

Dinner was a disaster. It took us too long to get from Des Moines to Ames. We ate our salads and had to get the main course to go (it sat in the car and we had to through it away).

When we got to the theatre Harry was playing at he wouldn't tell me where we were sitting. As we passed each section (starting at the back of the theatre on the main level) we kept walking closer to the stage and I kept saying, "Here?" "Nope, just a little bit further." He stopped. I blinked. We were seven rows from the stage and in the close to the center of the row. How on earth did he get that good of seats? I am still not sure to this day.

The show was the opener to the tour so there were a few kinks. Nonetheless it was amazing. I'm a fan of the big band. The horn section was wonderful and well, Harry ain't that bad to look at. It was phenomenal.

By the time we made it out of the show, we found traffic was not moving. We opened the windows to the Volvo and danced in the parking lot. Cheesy, yes, but a wonderful memory. After all the cars had left, we found our way to Iowa State's campus. There was a bar that was a hangout for Justin and his mates when he was in college. We were on our way there when this amazing smell came our way. It was the pita cart. This guy had a grill and he'd skillet up some veggies, heated up a pita, put it all together and then topped it off with this tasty sauce. Since dinner was such a hit, I couldn't not have one. We walked and ate. Ending up in front of Cy's Roost, we crept upstairs and found a table. Sitting there watching people and having a beer was the perfect way to end the evening. The ride home was a peaceful humming of ears, bellies and me trying to sing songs I should not have attempted.

That was the beginning of our downward spiral. At least some may say that. I think it was the beginning of a fruitful love affair. We bicker like old people. Have inside jokes. Can still have a conversation and learn something new from each other (or about each other). Find the other person as attractive as hell. He knows the buttons to push to get me to stand on the edge of a cliff but also knows what to say to bring me down when I need it. He is the planner and I'm the fly by the seat of the pants gal. No matter how people see us on the outside we are the right puzzle pieces and we're fitting together perfectly.

So, honey, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. You've survived. For this you should be given a medal.

No comments: