I went to see an orthodontist because my family has a history of dental problems. You wouldn’t be able to tell from my teeth now but I have experienced braces. I am one of those delightful patients who refused to wear their retainer. My father shakes his head every time he thinks of all the money he spent. Then again, if he hadn’t put me through the braces, I’m sure my teeth would still look like I was a product of a vampire love affair.
My father used to joke about my chin and how pointed it was. “You have the jaw of your mother.” If you look at pictures of me as a young girl, you can see just how pointed it was. I think I may have used it as a weapon when the “tickle wars” were being fought.
My initial meeting with the orthodontist was simple. I explained what I wanted and why I was there. He examined my teeth and said I have 40% function (bite). He gave me options and told me the next steps. One of the things I had to go through to get a complete consultation was a cranial x-ray. Having two prongs stuck in your ears so you don’t move during the x-ray can really cause you to twitch. Then I had impressions of my teeth done. Let me tell you, the taste of the plaster used has NOT changed. Although, this time I did not gag the way I remember doing 20 years ago (my god, has it been that long).
When I went to my follow up visit, they had a lovely x-ray sitting on the desk. It had an overlay with lines, calculations and numbers all over it. It took me about 30 seconds to realize it was my skull sitting there in all its glory. I stared…blinked…twitched and then began to laugh. I could definitely use my chin as a lethal weapon. It is so profound that I’m not sure they should let me through security at the airport. On the other hand, it is good to know that if I were ever attacked that it would be an accessible tool in defending myself.
After reviewing the x-ray and models of my teeth, I will be seeing an oral surgeon this Friday. They’re going to determine what they can do surgically to put everything where it belongs. The orthodontist says it should be one year of braces and then surgery. Something about removing bone in my upper jaw, pushing my chin one way and spreading out my palate. My concern is how this will change my facial features. I’m completely aware that it will have some impact on how my face looks. The question I have is, how much will change and what if I don’t like it? I’m not one to worry too much about my looks but if I’m unrecognizable then I may loose my mind. So, how to approach the question with the surgeon? Do you think they have software that can emulate a before and after? I suppose there is no way of knowing until I ask.
Even with the possibility of having a “new face”, the thought of being able to chew my food properly is appealing to me. I think full use of my teeth could change my life…okay, not really but I’m trying to convince myself that all of it is worth it.
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
a friend in mps (jodi, do you remember her?) had this done. and you know, her face really did change. i sometimes think i wouldn't recognize her if i saw her.
i know that she is really happy with everything that happened. good luck with it all!!
Post a Comment