For the last two weeks I have been splitting my time between Chicago and home. My uncle (Byron) had been ill unexpectedly and I went to be with him and family. There was a lot of time spent in the ICU and time passing very quickly. It is strange how being a room without windows or natural light can make time pass without a blink of an eye.
When I left Chicago, things were looking up for Byron. We were all hoping for the best and looking toward the future. Then on Saturday I received the call I hope no one will ever receive. Byron had gotten an infection and it caused his brain to swell. They determined he was brain dead and there was nothing else they could do. On Sunday morning, they unhooked him from the ventilator. He passed quickly while surrounded by family, friends and love. I wish I could have been there but know there is a time and place for my presence. Now my family is in mourning and we are trying to work out the details of a memorial.
I want to thank all of you who have called to see how things are going. Some of you I haven't talked to in years (literally) and your kind words have made this a little more bearable. Maybe one of the things to come out of this is that I reconnect with some of my friends.
So, Byron, this is for you. No matter where you are, you are in my heart and I will miss you terribly. You left us too soon. I cannot imagine my life without you as I don't want to believe this as true. Reality is too harsh and this is too cruel.
No comments:
Post a Comment