Tuesday, July 11, 2006

If you bring anything, don't bring your pride.

We joined the YWCA last week. We've gone three times (that two times less than days we've been members). Mostly we've been swimming. Maddie is a frog/fish when it comes to water. I tend to float and watch with a meniacle eye. She's happy, so I'm happy.

Last night was her first night at the "Fit Kids Gym". This is the place you drop your child off at when you need to hit the workout equipment. I thought she would have a better time there than watchimg me panting and swearing at some unknown tormentor. Once she was hanging by her toes from some "kid entertainment contraption" I meeked my way over to the stationary bicycles. I stood for two minutes watching the fury of the other riders and took a couple of steps back before I hightailed it down the stairs. I watched a group workout and realized I was not prepared to flail in front of all these people.

I decided the best use of my time (since Maddie was in heaven for only 6 minutes) was to head to the track and walk my embarrassment out. I made it around without passing out or being run over by a speed walker. After what seemed like a full eternity, I checked Maddie out of "Mega Gym for Pre-Schoolers" and we headed to the pool.

Now those of you who have been reading and paying attention to the said details would think I would have done everything in my power to head home at this point. Oh, NO! I donned a swimsuit and enjoyed the 45 minutes of being in the pool. Not once did I think, "My thighs are bigger than that 15 year old boy and if I swim pass him I might cause an undercurrent and he'll drown."

Next time, I'm bring the iPod and a blindfold (for every other person in the place).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have more guts then I do!!!! I have beeen procrastinating about going to the Y, but I haven't gotten enough nerve to just go, my ego and pride seem to get in the way, Ha! Dummy me, I can go for nothing, but there are a few things that are limited, I have to check it out first and find out what they will let me on, without laughing. ha! I htink I'll try and talk Kate into going with me.Enjoy. Mom