Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Time Wasters (a.k.a Blooping)

I've loved television for as long as I can remember. I have lived and breathed television shows my entire life. I think it started with "Alice". I remember sitting in my mother's bed watching an episode which was quickly followed by "Star Wars". We lived in a trailer and my mom's bedroom was in the back so it was quiet and secluded so I could watch without interruption. Then as I got older I loved "My Two Dads". I wanted to live in the loft the two dads shared. I wanted an artist/rock and roll kind of life (but totally G-rated of course). My love of television moved on from a specific show to MTV. I couldn't get enough music videos. It was the period where lots of makeup, hairspray and screeching guitars were most prevalent. I couldn't get enough of those glam-rock heavy metal bands. To this day, I still sing along with Skid Row, G-n-R and Motley Crue.

Then I went to college. This is where I had a tape for each night of the week so I could record my favorite shows while attending (like a good little student) my evening classes. I still have a few of those tapes although I don't view them as much as you would think.

I still love the television and all of the things it brings to my life. When I say "all of the things it brings to my life" I am talking about the gift of being able to turn off my brain. I love being able to not really concentrate on anything other than the pretty images on the screen. This brings me to my problem...I've fallen in love with "LOST", "Ugly Betty", "Grey's" and "Heroes". There are a few shows I like to watch but they are not new to my weekly schedule.

Justin is not a fan of all the television I like to consume. I have to say that he should be happy that I don't do other addictive things. We have had many conversations about how much time is wasted with the television. Yes, I could be training for a marathon or switching off my brain and not going postal. This gives me ideas of what I could do with my craftiness. This gives me something to dream about. This gives me the chance to escape from all of the daily drags.

I should go, my show is on.

No comments: